TIPS FOR PARENTS
How can parents motivate and strengthen attention with their children at home on a daily basis?
- Regardless of everything, try to plan your daily routine so that it does not include too many different activities. The child should focus on one thing only (if possible, do not visit the zoo and the museum, go swimming and invite friends over for dinner at the same day).
- Try to get the child used to focusing on one thing or activity at once (for example, at lunchtime, there should be no watching TV or browsing the internet). Set them an example. Even the body of an adult person requires focusing on one thing only.
- Encourage them to observe nature and the surroundings when on a walk, while driving in a car, ask them questions where 'yes' or 'no' is not enough.
- Encourage your child to move; when training how to keep one's balance and coordination, we train attention in general. Children learn through moving, so there is nothing wrong if they get dirty from time to time, if they fall down or get into a fight...
- Try to get the children used to looking you into your eyes or onto your mouth when you explain something to them or when giving instructions.
- Play games with the child that train their attention (finding differences, memorizing words, memory ...).
- Make sure the child's food is as diverse and as little processed as possible.
- Make sure the child gets enough rest and sleep.
- The instructions you give to your child should be short and clear.
- Set realistic expectations for your child which should have clear and logical consquences (by means of punishment and threats there will be no effect in the long run), but above all, notice the child's progress and effort and compliment them on it.
- Regardless of everything, make way for quality time with your child and give them your attention.
TIPS FOR CHILDREN ATTENDING PRIMARY SCHOOL:
- When studying, they should take short breaks which, if possible, include moving.
- Their study place should be organized and should include as little disturbing factors as possible.
- The child should create a schedule for studying and activities, which gives them an overview of everything that they need to do.
There is no such whetstone, to sharpen a good wit and encourage a will to learning, as is praise.